Become an Instinctual Trauma Response™ Certified Trauma Therapist or Life Coach
According to the American Psychological Association, over half the population has experienced trauma. Unfortunately, this is not news to you. As a licensed therapist or life coach, you are seeing the effects on your clients every day. They may present with symptoms of dissociation, depression, anxiety or a host of other behavioral and psychological issues. The challenge lies in identifying and treating the root cause, not just the symptoms. This is where Instinctual Trauma Response™ (ITR)will help.
Register for the ITR 101 Hybrid under LIVE TRAINING
Discuss opportunities with our traumatology faculty.
ITR™ Coursework Approved by NBCC and NASW
Approved by both the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), the ITR evidence-supported treatment method takes a different approach to treating trauma. Instead of “What’s wrong with the client?” the question becomes “What’s happened to the client?” ITR gives structure, words and historical context to traumatic events without the client reliving the trauma.
Accelerated Approach for Both Adults and Children
What else is different about ITR?
- Treatment time to success – hours vs years: Unlike many other psychodynamic approaches, processing a single traumatic event can happen quickly, even in as little as one session.
- Integrates seamlessly with other therapeutic models: Regardless of your psychodynamic or psychoanalytical approach, ITR adapts to become part of your process.
- Can be used with both children and adults: This method can be applied to clients as young as 3 – or 93.
Trauma Training Certification Process
The trauma training certification is comprised of three segments.
1. The FREE 11.5-hour Accelerated Traumatology 101 Online Course: In this first phase, you will have an opportunity to learn from a faculty group that includes the co-founder of the methodology, Dr. Linda Gantt. Some of the topic areas include:
- The history of trauma and the Instinctual Trauma Response;
- How the brain reacts to trauma;
- Specific clinical methods effective in treating clients with PTSD, CPTSD and dissociative disorders,
- Applying the techniques with non-verbal or child clients; and
- A foundation in art-informed therapy techniques that support the ITR approach.
The segment has no continuing education credits and is used with the ITR 101 Hybrid course.
2. The ATC 102 Live 2-Day or The ITR 101 Hybrid Course ($997):
ATC 102 Live 2-Day: This course done in a small group of 4-8 with video conferencing for 12-hours (two 6-hour days) allowing the learner to show competency in using ITR. They go from group to dyad work, The learners must have completed the ATC 101 Online course brfore this course begins. This course has been approved for 11.5 continuing education credits for licensed therapists by NBCC and NASW.
ITR 101 Hybrid: Perfect for agencies. The learner will watch the ATC 101 videos during the week and then be in group/dyad video conferencing sessions online. This course has been approved for 28.5 continuing education credits for licensed therapists by NBCC and NASW.
ATC 101 Live and ITR 101 hybrid will help the learner:
- Gain confidence in your skills
- Demonstrate your understanding of key procedures and methods using the Instinctual Trauma Response Method for trauma treatment; and
- Show your ability to apply those methods effectively.
These are experiential courses, where you will have the opportunity to observe live sessions, as well as conduct them, and support fellow learners as you each learn to deal with different populations and situations.
This course has been approved for 28.5 continuing education credits for licensed therapists by NBCC and NASW.
3. ITR Consultation Calls ($397): In this final phase, you will work with a Certified Instructor and a group of active ITR practioners applying ITR in different settings and with various populations. This includes 10 (ten) interactive video calls with case studies presented by participants and then discussed by the group. There is a 30-minute private introduction call and a 1-hour exit call with a Certified Instructor (12 calls total). The introduction call is to make sure the participant understands the method and answer any questions, and the exit call is where the participant present assessments, psychoeducation, a timeline, a full Graphic Narrative process and an Externalized Dialogue procedure and a follow up example to demonstrate they are confident with the process and keep fidelity to the ITR™method.
Successful completion of this final step results in your Certification as an ITR Trauma Therapist (ITR-CTT) or as a ITR Trauma Specialist ( ITR-CTS) for coaches/para-professionals.
To be considered a trainer a certified therapist/specialist must take another set of 10 consutation calls and present 3 more cases. ($250)
Renewal of ITR certification is required every 2 years. Certified therpist/specialist must attend a 1-day experiential training where they will get ITR updates and they must present ITR cases they have completed including assessments.
The ITR method helps clients address the effects of harm produced by trauma and stop the negative effects from continuing. It’s a a trauma treatment approach that honors the whole person."
Christy Pagels, LPC, ATR-BC, CTT
ITR Method Founders
With over 30 years of clinical experience helping individuals dealing with trauma and other mental health challenges, psychiatrist Dr. Lou Tinnin and art therapist Dr. Linda Gantt developed and tested the approach in their practices. Dr. Linda Gantt now focuses on training the next generation of therapists to help their clients process trauma and improve their lives.
Discuss opportunities with our traumatology faculty.